Labcorp is one of several companies that can test a person for Suboxone use, whether to test for compliance with a treatment program or to check for Suboxone misuse.
Typically, a person’s urine is tested, but they can also check for buprenorphine use through blood testing.
What Is Labcorp?
Labcorp is a well known life sciences and health care company, performing millions of tests a week in its many labs. In addition to testing samples for drug use, they also assist in various clinical trials and engage in a variety of work intended to advance the science and medical fields. Labcorp processes a lot of urine drug screens and this may be the company your online Suboxone provider uses to test your urine if you are taking Suboxone.
Preparing for Your Visit
In preparation for your visit, Labcorp recommends talking to your doctor about why the test is being performed and asking them any questions you may have. It’s good practice to ask about the nature of the test and if anything special is needed from you, but you’ll likely be taking a urine test with few notable requirements.
You may want to drink water and avoid using the bathroom shortly before taking your test if you’re worried you may not be able to urinate.
When you go to get tested, bring the following:
- Photo ID
- Current insurance card
- A way to pay for the test, unless an organization like your employer is paying for you
- The Labcorp test request form from a healthcare professional requesting the laboratory testing
If you have children, it will generally be best to have someone else take care of them when visiting a Labcorp lab. You can’t bring children into the collection area for a drug screening, and Labcorp policy requires children to be supervised at all times.
How the Testing Process Works
Generally speaking, the testing process is very easy if you follow all provided instructions and ask questions about anything you find confusing. Talk with the individual at the lab’s reception area and give them your test form. They will then walk you through everything you need to do.
For a typical urine test, you will be given a small receptacle to urinate in. Generally, this container will already be labeled with your identifying information, or you will be given a label to put on the container.
Then, you will be directed to a restroom. A lab will either have a special hatch in the restroom to put the container in, or you will hand it to someone outside the restroom once you’re done.
At that point, you’re done with your involvement in the testing process. The sample will be tested for metabolites that form from buprenorphine (the main drug present in Suboxone) by experts, and the results will be documented and ready within a few days.
When Will You Get Your Results?
From the time to a specimen being collected to test results being released to the provider, the Labcorp’s expected turnaround for a urine buprenorphine screening is two to four days. They do note that you may sometimes need to allow for additional time for any necessary confirmation tests, but you won’t typically have to wait long for your test results.
What Types of Tests Can Screen for Suboxone?
As already mentioned, by far the most common way to test for Suboxone and other buprenorphine-based medication is urine testing. It is relatively noninvasive, and the results are reliable when the test is properly conducted.
With that said, Labcorp does offer a blood test that screens for a variety of different drugs, including buprenorphine.
If you have any questions about what to expect prior to doing a drug test for either an employer or a medical doctor, talk to them and ask any questions you may have.
- About Labcorp. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/about. Accessed September 2022.
- Test Preparation. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/patients/labs-and-appointments/test-preparation. Accessed September 2022.
- What to Expect. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/patients/labs-and-appointments/what-to-expect. Accessed September 2022.
- Buprenorphine, Screen and Confirmation, Urine. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/tests/763400/buprenorphine-screen-and-confirmation-urine. Accessed September 2022.
- Drug Screen 16 With Reflex Confirmation (AMP,BAR,BZO,COC,PCP,THC,OPI,OXY,MD,FEN,BUP,PPX,MEP,TRAM,GABA,CAR), Whole Blood. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/tests/700902/drug-screen-16-with-reflex-confirmation-amp-bar-bzo-coc-pcp-thc-opi-oxy-md-fen-bup-ppx-mep-tram-gaba-car-whole-blood. Accessed September 2022.
- Drug Screen 11 with Reflex Confirmation (AMP,BAR,BZO,COC,PCP,THC,OPI,OXY,MD,BUP,TRAM), Meconium. Labcorp. https://www.labcorp.com/tests/809558/drug-screen-11-with-reflex-confirmation-amp-bar-bzo-coc-pcp-thc-opi-oxy-md-bup-tram-meconium. Accessed September 2022.
Medically Reviewed By Elena Hill, MD, MPH
Elena Hill, MD; MPH received her MD and Masters of Public Health degrees at Tufts Medical School and completed her family medicine residency at Boston Medical Center. She is currently an attending physician at Bronxcare Health Systems in the Bronx, NY where ... Read More