Amelia Burgess, MD is an addiction physician and a pediatrician who joined Bicycle Health as a medical provider in September 2021. Dr. Burgess has board certifications from the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Preventive Medicine. She attended college and medical school in New York City, Barnard and Cornell, respectively and earned an MPH from the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Burgess trained in pediatrics at the Cleveland Clinic, and studied addiction in Minnesota. She has practiced medicine in all manner of clinical settings, from rural clinics in Haiti, to community clinics, to county emergency departments, to tertiary care hospitals. Her road to addiction medicine began with my first job, as a foster care licensing and placement worker in Brooklyn, NY.
In her free time, Dr. Burgess enjoys hiking, reading, writing, cooking, spending time with her husband, family, friends, and dogs.
Burgess Amelia. “Let’s start normalizing discussions about alcohol with patients.” AAP Voices Blog, September 20, 2021.
Burgess Amelia. Member Spotlight. Chapter Newsletter, Minnesota AAP. March 20, 2021.
Burgess Amelia. “Using the EHR to Streamline Care for Children in Foster Care.” Chapter Newsletter, Minnesota AAP. May 2, 2017.
Burgess Amelia. “Pediatric Care for Children in Foster Care: A Link to Past, Present, and Future.” CW360: Child Welfare Reform, Center for Advanced Studies in Child Welfare. University of Minnesota School of Social Work. St. Paul, MN. Spring 2016.
Burgess Amelia. “Creating a Health Care Home for Children in Foster Care.” Chapter Newsletter, Minnesota AAP. August 1, 2014.
Burgess AL. Borowsky IW. “The health and home environments of in-home, foster, and kin caregivers of children investigated by Child Protective Services.” Pediatrics. 125 (2): 273-281, 2010 February.
Burgess AL. Fitzgerald DW. Severe P. Joseph P. Noel E. Rastogi N. Johnson Jr WD. Pape JW. “Integration of tuberculosis screening at an HIV voluntary counseling and testing center in Haiti. AIDS. 15 (14): 1875-9, 2001 September 28.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy for Pediatricians, MN-AAP, January 2021.
Naked Heart Foundation VI Annual International Forum: Every Child Deserves a Family: Effective Support Programmes, Moscow, Russia. October 2-5, 2017. Invited speaker.
- “Evidence based programmes for children with FASD in families and foster care,” panel member. October 2, 2017
- “Evidence based treatment for children in foster care: Importance of continuity and team-building,” speaker, panel member. October 3, 2017
- “Multidisciplinary approach to children in foster care: Comprehensive pediatric evaluation for children in foster care,” speaker, panel member. October 4, 2017
“Foster Care: Addressing Continuity,” American Academy of Pediatrics, Minnesota Chapter, Hot Topics in Pediatrics, Minneapolis, MN, May 12, 2017.
“Foster Care is a Health Intervention,” Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians Spring Refresher, Minneapolis, MN, April 21, 2017.
“Comprehensive Assessment for Children in Foster Care/Kinship Care,” Hennepin County Medical Center Pediatric Grand Rounds, Minneapolis, MN October 20, 2016. Webinar, American Academy of Pediatrics, Minnesota Chapter, May 31, 2017.
“Stress toxique et le développement de l’enfant.” UNIFA Medical School, the medical school of the Aristide Foundation for Democracy, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, March 2, 2015.
“Foster Care: A Health Intervention.”
- Park Nicollet Institute Pediatric Update, St. Louis Park, MN. November 2, 2012.
- Hennepin County Child Protection Workers, Minneapolis, MN. November 6, 2012
“Foster Care and Child Health,” Community-University Health Care Center, Minneapolis, MN. February 2011. Park Nicollet Pediatrics Grand Rounds, St. Louis Park, MN, April 2011. Creekside Pediatric Residency Noon Conference, Park Nicollet, St. Louis Park, MN, May 2011.
“Meeting the Health Care Needs of Children in Foster Care.” Minnesota Department of Human Services, St. Paul, MN. December 2009.
“Foster Care Health: The Role of the Pediatrician.”
- University of Minnesota Department of Pediatrics, Minneapolis, MN. Grand Rounds, July 11, 2007.
- North American Council on Adoptable Children National Conference, Tampa, FL. July 26, 2007.
- Children’s Hospitals of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Grand Rounds, August 2007.
- Hennepin County Children’s Services, December 2007.
The Mentor Network, Valley View, Ohio
- “Asthma for Foster Parents.” January 2005.
- “Common Childhood Illnesses for Foster Parents.” January 2005.
- “Recreational Drugs.” May 2005.
MetroHealth Medical Center Emergency Medicine Resident Lecture Series.
- “Neonatal Resuscitation.” 2004.
- “Upper Airway Obstruction.” 2004.
- “Fever in Infants.” 2004.
- “Introduction to Trauma Support/Orientation to the E.D. for Pediatric Residents.” 2005
Residency in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, The Children’s Hospital at the Cleveland Clinic.
- “A Case of Surreptitious Baptism.” Noon Conference Series, 2004.
- “The Benefits of Human Breast Milk.” Noon Conference Series, 2003.
- “Pediatrician Support of the Breastfeeding Mother.” Resident Research Day, 2002.
English, French, Haitian Creole, Spanish
American Board of Pediatrics
American Board of Preventive Medicine
Licensed To Practice In
Phone: (844) 943-2514